GAUTENG’S 2027 ONLINE ADMISSIONS OFF TO A GOOD START

Thembisa Shologu It is all systems go for the 2027 Gauteng Online Admissions application period. The online system for Grade 1 and Grade 8 applications officially went live at 08:00 on Wednesday, 5 August 2026, marking the start of the admissions process for learners seeking placement in Gauteng public schools for the 2027 academic year. By 12:00 noon on Wednesday, the Gauteng Department of Education (GDE) had already received 210 055 demonstrating the continued confidence that parents and guardians have in the province’s Online Admissions System. Prior to MEC for Education, Lebogang Maile’s officially Switch-On of the online system at the Sam Ntuli Sports Complex in Thokoza, parents and guardians joined the queue ready to submit their applications as soon as the system became available. Since its introduction in 2015, the Gauteng Online Admissions System has transformed learner admissions by replacing long queues outside schools with a fair, transparent and efficient digital platform. A guardian, Stephina Motloung said she was excited that the online system was introduced as it was convenient. “I am applying for my grandchildren, twin boys and the process was just smooth. I prefer the online system it is quick and easy. “I am also happy that the department came to assist us with the applications, this saved us time, and now all I am looking forward to being informed about where my boys will be placed,” said Motloung. About 12 058 parents had already joined the online queue between 07:30 and 07:59 ready to apply. The application process has since proceeded smoothly without any major technical incidents. This year’s admissions cycle introduces a range of enhancements designed to improve the user experience. These included improved system stability during periods of high demand, faster application processing times, enhanced document verification, and the ability for parents to view each school’s Language of Learning and Teaching, Home Language, and First Additional. Another parent, Nobuhle Malatje said she preferred both online and the manual systems. “I was already here at seven, just to avoid the queue. My application went well, I like the initiative, it is helping us as parents especially those who do not have Wi-Fi at home and also many of our parents are not computer savvy. “I prefer both systems because sometimes I just prefer going to the school to just get the process over and done with and again the online one works especially for parents that are working fulltime and can’t go to school,” said Malatje. Parents and guardians can submit their applications online by visiting www.gdeadmissions.gov.za. MEC Maile has urged all parents and guardians not to wait until the closing days of the application period. “Applying early allows sufficient time to upload supporting documents, resolve any outstanding matters and improve the likelihood of a seamless placement process. “Parents are reminded to complete all five application steps, apply to a minimum of three and a maximum of five schools, and upload or submit all certified supporting documents within seven days of submitting their applications,” he said. The department further cautions parents against fraudsters and scammers who falsely claim to represent the GDE or promise guaranteed school placements in exchange for money as online admissions are free of charge. Parents requiring assistance were encouraged to make use of the department’s 48 decentralised Walk-In Centres, 15 District Offices, the Provincial Head Office, and all public schools across Gauteng, where trained officials are available to provide assistance. The application period remains open until midnight on Friday, 4 September 2026. SOURCED FROM THE GPG WEBSITE. |
Share


